From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LANG, LC_*, and unicode
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 04:32:18
1 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ls /usr/lib64/aspell-0.60/f*
2
3 and the only difference was whether "f\ufffdroyskt.alias" was first or
4 last in the listing. It still displayed the unicode char as "\ufffd".
5
6 So supposing I set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and do nothing else. Will it
7 simply change how "unusual" file names are displayed, will it change
8 how future file names are created, will it affect any text files I now
9 have, or ones I create from now on?
10
11 In other words, will it mess up what I have?
14 Dr. Finchly,
15
16 Creating files and getting them to show the correct glyph is very different
17 from your terminal doing so. In the kernel there is a setting for which
18 locales your FILESYSTEMS understand and can grok/display. You may choose to
19 let your terminal display those glyphs or not. Applications use the same
20 LANG and LC_ thingies to decipher what your system is trying to do, so make
21 sure you understand the difference between the two.
22
23 Usually, setting LANG to en_US.UTF-8 or en_GR.UTF-8 is sufficient. You'll
24 probably still just use ASCII for your filename characters. So any
25 applications like web browsers will have access to all those locales that
26 you have listed in your /etc/locale.gen file.
27
28 Your filesystems are different. You can load modules for them but usually
29 you just load UTF-8 and ASCII and the main ISO-8859-1 or -15 or -whatever
30 and you're set to display funky filenames.
31
32 Easy way:
33
34 /etc/env.d$ cat 02locale
35 LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
36
37 So, just make some kind of locale file in /etc/env.d and you're set.
38 Recompile any nls-dependent apps and Bob's your uncle.
43 Bill Longman