From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 21:08:55
1 Am 20.08.2013 08:54, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2
3 > Unless you want to learn the ins and outs of using an initramfs (and
4 > having a lot of fun and failed boots in the process), I highly
5 > recommend using Dracut. It does everything for you.
6
7 I'd dig a short and working howto "systemd and dracut".
8
9 My approach in the last weeks/months was a mixed one (which is nearly
10 always bad):
11
12 I ran genkernel to compile kernel and modules ... additionally generated
13 initramfs with a quick-and-dirty-script hacked by myself (it uses
14 dracut) ... and then executed grub2-mkconfig to update my grub2-config.
15
16 This works so far ... until yesterday when my thinkpad didn't boot
17 correctly anymore with the gentoo-sources-based kernel/initramfs 3.10.9
18 (interesting: my desktop worked out fine with the same sources ... the
19 config might be a bit different).
20
21 I found that the genkernel-based grub2-entry (with the initramfs
22 generated via genkernel) didn't create /dev/shm anymore .. leading to
23 various things failing.
24
25 Another grub2-entry pointing to the dracut-based initramfs works fine. Cool.
26
27 So I have to get rid of genkernel, right? At least for now.
28
29 Additionally I would really like to understand how to influence the
30 default entry for grub2 ... letting grub2-mkconfig detect the available
31 options is one thing ... but do I really have to count down the
32 available kernels and edit the number?
33
34 I would prefer to be able to explicitly select my default kernel by
35 editing some file and for example choose "3.10.9" somewhere ...
36
37 Stefan