From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:59:37
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > This is maybe a bit off topic but here goes. I want to install Linux
5 > on my brothers rig. The heat sink on the CPU is not much, OEM type.
6 > I don't want to install Gentoo because of that and it is a older rig
7 > with a slow CPU and not a lot of ram either. So, what is a easy to
8 > install distro that has KDE4, Seamonkey, gtkam, GIMP and such? I want
9 > something easy because I want to install and leave it be until he can
10 > get a new rig built. Then I'll be installing Gentoo for a more
11 > permanent install.
12 >
13 > I looked at Kubuntu, Ubuntu and tried to install Mandriva. Mandriva
14 > got to a point and just froze up on me. I tried three times and it
15 > did the same thing each time so no clue what is going on there.
16 >
17 > Ideas?
18 >
19 > Dale
20 >
21 > :-) :-)
25 One more question. What is a easy to install but WELL tested and STABLE
26 binary distro? I'm thinking something that needs a update 2 or 3 times
27 a year or something. My brother is liking Linux a lot. No more Norton
28 to pop up and aggravate him and he can just surf wherever he wants for
29 the most part. Once I get his emails moved over, windoze is going to
30 take a loooooong nap. ;-) When I plug up the windoze drive, he dreads it.
31
32 My sis-n-law is liking Kpat and I installed pysol today. She likes
33 farming on facebook and card games. I think those two alone will keep
34 her happy a long time.
35
36 Thoughts?
37
38 By the way, I have read some of the other messages but holding off on a
39 reply in case something doesn't work like I want. I did get grub to
40 come up when booting by hitting the shift key. Progress. I forgot my
41 notes tho. lol
42
43 Dale
44