From: cafairle@×××××××××××××××××.ca
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] After attempting fb'ing with nvidia, xfce fonts are tiny.
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:56:04
1 So I started out compiling 2.6.12-r6 with frame buffer support adding in vesafb.
2 Tried various grub lines at various res's, got nothing but distorted console
3 fonts (started 1/3 way over on screen w/ wrap around plus a duplication on the
4 line at the start, only the very top line of the screen displayed correctly).
5 Tried rivafb, not compatable with nvidia driver, tried nvidiafb, no luck. Nvidia
6 driver wouldnt even load in any configuration i tried.
7
8 So I go to revert back to a kernel without framebuffering support (also tried
9 disabling RAM disc support needed for initrd) making NO changes to xorg.conf or
10 any xfce settings but when I log in, my system font size appeared much smaller.
11 This was apparent in applications like gnome-terminal, evolution, x-chat and
12 gkrellm. Firefox and xemacs displayed the correct fonts. Application windows
13 were the correct size, simply the fonts were smaller.
14
15 After changing my modeline, disabling composite support, 'emerge -Nva
16 nvidia-kernel' and various other solutions, no changet and various other
17 solutions, no change was seen. was seen.
18
19 My question is, you know in gnome-terminal you can select whether to use "system
20 terminal font", what font is this? it seems to be the issue. I *could* simply
21 increase the font size in all affected apps but I shouldnt have to do that.
22
23 Others have suggested expliciting setting the dpi in xorg.conf but again, I
24 never had to do that before so why now? Right now its 75x75 dpi. I have no idea
25 what it was before this font issue.
26
27 My native resolution is 1680x1050 (17" wsxga LCD). I'm using nvidia 7667 w/ fast
28 write, side buffering and 8x agp enabled (not the most stable i know, but has
29 not been problematic).
30
31 Thanks,
32 Chris