From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make oldconfig necessary?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 02:46:52
1 On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Let's say I have a .config from an older kernel version (for example,
3 > 2.6.38), and now I want to install a newer kernel (let's say, 3.0).
4 >
5 > Is it necessary to first do `make oldconfig`, or is it safe to go
6 > directly to `make menuconfig`?
7 >
8 > Rgds,
9
10 It is not necessary but you'll be starting from scratch. Linux often
11 suggests that's the best thing to do but I've done make oldconfig for
12 12 years now and never had a problem that I could trace back to using
13 it. It certainly saves time.
14
15 I also ALWAYS run make menuconfig following make oldconfig mainly so I
16 can exit from menuconfig and get messages (if any) about config
17 problems.
18
19 Hope this helps,
20 Mark