From: Anthony Metcalf <nevyn@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [Theoretical] Copy make.conf or Create New Profile
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:33:14
1 Hi,
2
3 This is a theoretical question, and a very simplified example of
4 what I'm thinking, but it serves to get the idea across....
5
6 Suppose I am planning multiple Gentoo servers, I will want them all
7 based on the "Hardened" profile (they are servers after all!) but I will
8 also want them all to have the ipv6 use flag set, since my internal
9 network is completely ipv6.
10
11 Which is better, have a standard make.conf, with USE="ipv6" and copy
12 that around, or create my own profile?
13
14 I assume that I could copy the hardened profile, change a couple of
15 files, and then re-link make.profile.
16
17 1) Would changes be lost on rysnc, since my new folder isn't in the
18 tree I'm syncing with? Is there a way around that?
19
20 The advantage I see over the copy-the-make.conf situation, is that I
21 can change the use flags once, and they are copied for all servers at
22 the next sync (all servers would obviously sync to a central box),
23 whilst still being able to keep other things (CFLAGS? IF servers have
24 different processors etc) different for different servers....
25
26 Discuss....