From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:13:45
1 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > There are some things that I forgot to tell ya.
5 >
6 > I know that lots of you don't know "dpkg-reconfigure", well, it will
7 > write the /etc/whatever.conf file for you asking you in an interactive
8 > way what do you want to do. I'd compare it to some package's "ebuild
9 > /usr/portage/whatever/whatever-0.0.1.ebuild conf".
10 >
11 > I would add a mark for packages that can be configured, as there is a
12 > mark for UPDATE, NEW, RE-EMERGE, FETCH... I'd add another one like "C"
13 > for ebuilds that admit "conf" option.
14 >
15 > As someone said here before, EMERGE is a not interactive tool (if we
16 > don't take in count --ask), but in general it is not interactive. And we
17 > can assume that anybody stays in front of monitor all the emerge
18 > process, so I'd suggest to print information (or warning) messages in a
19 > more efficient way, for example: AT THE END OF THE EMERGE PROCESS, not
20 > at the end of each package emerge process. I think that
21 > PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES, PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM and PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI is
22 > not so necessary if all messages are printed out at the end of the
23 > global emerge process.
24
25 I haven't investigated yet this "ELOG" thing but I couldn't I agree more
26 than this with you!
27
28 *CHEERS*
31 Best regards,