From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenSSH upgrade warning
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:48:20
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 11/10/2015 04:11 PM, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
3 >> You can disable password login for that user on the server. Then he
4 >> can only login via ssh key. Only with the knowledge of the root
5 >> password it is not possible to gain root access to the server. An
6 >> attacker also needs the ssh key. And with a camera, keylogger, or
7 >> measuring radiation he can not fetch that key.
8 >>
9 > This is pretty close to what I originally asked for, thank you.
10 > If you disable all password logins to the server AND disable remote root
11 > logins altogether, then you can stop someone from gaining root by
12 > peeking over your shoulder as you type.
13 >
14 > Unless they bash you over the head and swipe your laptop. But still,
15 > I'll take it.
20 Now I'm curious. Just how often does all this stuff take place? I
21 figure when hackers attack, they go straight for root access anyway. If
22 that access is disabled then they will never get in, no matter how long
23 they try. From what little I know, even if they have the root password
24 they still can't get in unless they also have the other user account to
25 login with first.
26
27 Now when hackers get around to hitting folks over the head with a club,
28 we got problems. Given I touched my electric fence by accident a while
29 back, a stun gun would get me to give up quite a lot. O_O
30
31 Dale
32