From: Rafa Griman <rafagriman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 08:45:38
1 Hi !!
2
3 On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Howdy,
5 >
6 > I was wondering. Has anyone ever seen where a test as been done to
7 > compare the speed of Gentoo with other distros? Maybe Gentoo compared
8 > to Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu and such?
11 First things first ... What do you mean by "speed". Benchmarking is a
12 very complicated job ;) Do you mean boot time, network bandwidth, HDD
13 bandwidth, number crunching, graphics, ...? What application(s)? What
14 data volume? ...
15
16 MHO: never trust benchmarks unless you do them and you know what you
17 are doing ;) Even then ... be careful ;)
18
19 If you decide to run some benchmarks, take into account that Gentoo
20 has so many USE flags ... youo might not use one of those flags ...
21 but the other distros do use them. Same applies to compiler flags so
22 ... would it be a fair comparison ? ;)
23
24 Last, but not least ... Imagine Gentoo is "faster" ... would compile
25 time be worth it? IOW: installing a precompiled distro (like RHEL,
26 SLES, ...) can about 30 - 60 minutes. Gentoo can take 24 hours (or
27 more ... or less, depending on what you install, your experience,
28 ...). Now imagine speed up is 0.1% ... is it worth it?
31 > Also, I read that Nasdaq runs a modified version of Gentoo. Do any
32 > other large corps run it that we know of?
35 Sorry, can't be of any help here :(
38 > I googled a bit but couldn't find anything. Maybe my search terms
39 > wasn't good enough.
40 >
41 > Links would be nice.
44 MHO