From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching between "nvidia / nouveau" drivers
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:11:25
1 On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm trying to prevent next disaster with nvidia driver/kernel combination.
3 > I'm running "nvidia" driver and installed "nouveau" as module. If for any
4 > reason nvidia or nouveau will stop working I want to just run a sript and
5 > use other one.
6 >
7 > Here is my configuration:
8 >
9 > cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
10 > blacklist nouveau
11 >
12 > cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
13 > Section "Device"
14 > Identifier "Nvidia card"
15 > Driver "nvidia"
16 > EndSection
17 >
18 > eselect opengl list
19 > Available OpenGL implementations:
20 > [1] nvidia *
21 > [2] xorg-x11
22 >
23 > In order to switch it to "nouveau" I would need to unload the nvidia module,
24 > but I can not do it when it is in use so I need to stop "xdm" first, am I
25 > correct?
26 > /etc/init.d/xdm stop (X crashes at this moment)
27 > modprobe -r nvidia
28 > mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf_backup
29 > mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_nvidia
30 > eselect opengl set xorg-x11
31 > modprobe nouveau
32 > mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf_nouveau /etc/X11/xorg.conf
33 > /etc/init.d/xdm start (at this moment I should have login screen)
34 >
35 > Did I miss anything? Will it work if I put it into a bash script?
36
37 What about console framebuffer (if you use one) and KMS? I wonder if
38 you need to do something about those.