From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cdrecord - devname - was burning a dvd+r dl...
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:16:03
1 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> I am sorry for my bad English.
6 >>> I used to run all my cdrecord commands as user. I am unable to run the
7 >>> command in the format using dev=scsibus,target,lun as user (I can do so
8 >>> as root), but I am able to burn a cd as user when using dev=/dev/cdrom.
9 >>> With the first method the average write speed seems to be much faster
10 >>> than with the second one.
11 >>> I just wander if this is normal behavior. I always followed
12 >>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_a_DVD:Burn where it says:
13 >>> "[snip]Replace /<device>/ with your dvd device (for example
14 >>> /dev/dvd)[snip]" So the wiki seems to be wrong, isn't it?
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >> Is the user you are attempting to run these commands as a member of the
18 >> cd and cdrw groups? Usually if a command works as root but not a user,
19 >> it is a permissions problem which is fixed by being in the correct
20 >> group. I say usually.
23 > Not true in the case of cdrecord.
24 >
25 > The Linux kernel always needed root privs to burn media before 2004.
26 > In 2004 a security bug was introduced that allowed to send any SCSI
27 > command to any drive.
28 >
29 > In Autumn 2004 this bug was not fixed but the SCSI Linux kernel interface
30 > was changed in an incompatible way. Now _some_ SCSI commands work as non-root.
31 >
32 > SCSI is a try and error protocol and cdrecord checks which commands are working.
33 > If it is possible to burn with the limuted non-root command set, it _may_ work
34 > but there is a high risk for buffer underruns. In this case cdrecord believes
35 > that you own a really dumb burner that does not support most of the nice
36 > features....
37 >
38 > Jörg
42 So that I have a better understanding of this, if he is not a member of
43 the cd/cdrw group then the command would still work as a user?
44
45 Dale
46