From: "Marzan
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:47:33
1 Get a volt meter and measure the voltage. Red is 5+ volts yellow is 12+
2 volts; if you're getting less than that or way too much than those
3 values then the component needs to be replaced. Try also swapping the
4 memory modules out one by one; interchanging them and see if that makes
5 it boot up. Some, not all, BIOS programs need some ram to boot the
6 machine. It could also be a broken power switch. If that is the case,
7 try to ground the pwr pin to a grnd(black) pin with a flat head screw
8 driver on the MB. Also, try removing all PCI cards from the machine.
9 After this, it becomes expensive and labouring; motherboard replacement
10 or CPU (ouch!).
11 > -----Original Message-----
12 > From: Grant [mailto:emailgrant@×××××.com]
13 > Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:42 AM
14 > To: Gentoo mailing list
15 > Subject: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
16 >
17 > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
18 > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
19 > problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
20 > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
21 >
22 > - Grant
23 > --
24 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list