From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Freeze up during X session
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:54:59
1 I'm experiencing a problem where during an X session the machine
2 inexplicably freezes up... networking along with mouse keyboard etc.
3 No access is then possible via ssh or any other way other than a hard
4 reboot.
5
6 I've attempted to debug the problem by first searching the logs. But
7 not finding anything I recognize as a clue.
8
9 I've inserted a line like this in /etc/syslog.conf
10 cat /etc/syslog.conf
11 [...]
12 *.* -/var/log/debug.log
13 [...]
14
15 and then created a tiny script called by cron every 5 minutes that
16 simply pinged an external host and reported the results by way of
17 piping to `logger', guaranteeing it would appear in the system logs .
18
19 Then after a freeze up and reboot, search the logs for the most recent
20 successful ping and see what happened after that. (The freeze up freezes
21 networking too so the ping would then fail). And Hopefully I'd see
22 something of note between the last successful ping and the reboot.
23
24 But I see absolutely nothing of note.
25
26 The freeze does not appear to obey any particular time frame after a
27 boot, only that sooner or later a freeze up will occur.
28
29 Apparently there is nothing happening that merits a log entry.
30
31 Its been going on for a goodly while and I've just been rebooting as
32 needed ... I haven't been really active on the machine for a while so
33 it was easy to get along with, but now I need to do more work and so
34 the problem is a major stumbling block.