From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone succeeded with kmail2?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:00:32
1 On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:43:51 -0500
2 Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > That seems like it will likely be tricky. I don't know a lot about
5 > kmail, but I've got two ideas that might work:
6 >
7 > 1) Depending on what kmail can do, you might be able to set up a
8 > maildir or mbox folder with kmail, and have kmail transfer all that
9 > mail into it. I believe Thunderbird can ready both mbox and maildir,
10 > so that might be a nice solution if kmail can do that.
11 >
12 > 2) Another idea I thought of that might be heavy handed, but might
13 > also work would be to set up an IMAP server of your own. Then you can
14 > connect kmail to that IMAP server, transfer all your mail to the
15 > server, then connect Thunderbird to it and import it. It's certainly
16 > not a simple idea, but it should work. Cyrus is the IMAP server that I
17 > use, but there are others, and perhaps some that are simpler to
18 > configure.
19
20 I use option 2) as well, to great effect. I run dovecot locally and
21 back in the KDE3 days had transferred all my mail into it. kmail's
22 INBOX was the default kmail folder, and filters moved every incoming
23 mail to an IMAP folder.
24
25 It runs slower than local mail folders (IMAP will never be as fast as
26 simply looking on the disk) but it comes with the benefit of a sane
27 maildir folder that dovecot reads without any of the peculiarities that
28 all mail clients seem to have about their own local storage. And
29 switching mail clients (or using two at the same time) is a simple
30 matter of configuring a new mail source on the client.
31
32 The best solution of all would be to have some process fetch your mail
33 from everywhere and have procmail filter it. I never bothered going to
34 that extent though, I just relied on filters in my primary mail client.
35 It has the benefit that a mail client only reads and sends, and is not
36 involved with changing the master mail store in any way (aka kmail2's
37 ability to disastrously fuck up your mail life completely is severely
38 limited)
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com