From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Settings for Fan
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 23:59:12
1 On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 20:14 +0200, JC Denton wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Where can I configure my fan? I have a Thinkpad R40 and the fan starts
5 > realy often.
6
7 Except in rare cases where the manufacturer got it wrong, you _don't_
8 want to configure your fan, IMHO.
9
10 I have an Inspiron 9100, and I can control the fan from software
11 (i8kutils, only for Dell's) but I don't use it because the bios makes a
12 better choice.
13
14 Therefore, I'd:
15 1. have a look for settings in the bios about fan speeds and temps, and
16 2. make sure you're not running anything that is trying to control the
17 fan, and hence fighting with the bios. In which case you might get high
18 fan speeds, or weird alternating fan speeds.
19 3. Try another OS and see if the fan behaviour is the same.
20
21 HTH,
25 There is something in the pang of change
26 More than the heart can bear,
27 Unhappiness remembering happiness.
28 -- Euripides
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list