From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Glibc and binpackages
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:42:49
1 On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 12:54 PM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
2 wrote:
3
4 > I’m not sure if I’m doing something horribly wrong, or missing something
5 > blindingly obvious, but I’ve just had to boot a rescue shell yet again, so
6 > I’m going to ask.
10 > To save time and effort, I have my big, powerful machine create
11 > binpackages for everything when it updates, and then let all my smaller
12 > machines pull from that. It works pretty well for the most part.
15 I do something quite similar, but have never had a glibc problem. Maybe the
16 problem lies in differences between the specific details of our two
17 approaches.
18
19 I have 3 boxes with different hardware but identical portage setup,
20 identical world file, identical o.s., etc, even identical CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS
21 and CPU_FLAGS_X86 despite different processors. Like you, I build on my
22 fastest box (but offload work via distcc), and save binpkgs. After a world
23 update (emerge -DuNv —changed-deps @world) , I rsync all repositories and
24 binpkgs from the fast box to the others. An emerge -DuNv —changed-deps
25 —usepkgonly @world on the other boxes completes the update. I do this
26 anywhere from daily to (rarely) weekly. Portage determines when to update
27 glibc relative to other packages. There hasn’t been a problem in years with
28 glibc.
29
30 I believe there are more sophisticated ways to supply updated portage trees
31 and binary packages across a local network. I think there are others on
32 the list using these more sophisticated techniques successfully. Just a
33 plain rsync satisfies my needs.
34
35 It’s not clear to me whether you have the problem on your big powerful
36 machine or on your other machines. If it’s the other machines, that
37 suggests that portage knows the proper build sequence on the big machine
38 and somehow doesn’t on the lesser machines. Why? What’s different?
39
40 Perhaps there’s something in my update frequency or maintaining an
41 identical setup on all my machines that avoids the problem you’re having?
42
43 If installing glibc first works, then maybe put a wrapper around your
44 emerge? Something that installs glibc first if there’s a new binpkg then
45 goes on to the remaining updates.
46
47 Just offered in case there’s a useful hint from my experience - not arguing
48 that mine is the one true way (tm).
49
50 HTH,
51