From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Running two apaches and MySQLs on the same server
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:15:08
1 On Thursday 28 May 2009 20:57:08 Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I am considering running an ecommerce website (php+mysql) on a server which
5 > is already running apache (with a number of virtual hosts) and a couple of
6 > php+mysql driven websites.
7 >
8 > The ecommerce website is meant to be used to process customer payments. I
9 > have not looked into setting up something like this before and I am not
10 > sure where to start. Should I be thinking of chroot jails, multiple
11 > apache/mysql installations, or what else is recommended? How do you do it
12 > in your implementations?
13
14 A chroot jail is of no real use to you here - it's a development tool and
15 amazingly useful for gentoo installs, but has no real security or process
16 separation benefits. So says Alan - not me, a different one.
17
18 Your problem will be that only one apache instance can run on port 80.
19 Your options:
20 1. Run the ecommerce apache on a different port.
21 2. Install a second NIC with a different IP and bind each apache to port 80 on
22 it's own nic.
23 3. If you use separate mysqls, run them on different ports.
24
25 However, it's an e-commerce site so one must state the obvious:
26
27 You must be out of your mind running an ecommerce site on the same machine as
28 other php vhosts. Please give me the URL so I know never to buy there - I have
29 no way of knowing what those vhosts are, who the webmaster is and how secure
30 they are.
31
32 So I recommend option 4:
33