From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB crucial file recovery
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:53:45
1 Am 30.08.2016 um 22:32 schrieb Grant:
2 >>>>>>>> ext2 doesn't have a journal, that's why I suggested it in the
3 >>>> first
4 >>>>>>>>> place.
5 >>>>>>>> My point was against all the journalised filesystems (that
6 >>>> includes
7 >>>>>>>> NTFS), not against your advice ;)
8 >>>>>>>>
9 >>>>>>> OP is looking for an fs to put on a memory stick that will work
10 >>>>>>> everywhere:
11 >>>>>>>
12 >>>>>>> - vfat
13 >>>>>>> - exfat
14 >>>>>> He asked for something that would work "across Gentoo systems".
15 >>>>>>
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>> How does exfat not fulfil that?
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>>
20 >>>> because exfat does not work across gentoo systems. ext2 does.
21 >>> Exfat works when the drivers are installed.
22 >>> Same goes for ext2.
23 >>>
24 >>> It is possible to not have support for ext2/3 or 4 and still have a fully functional system. (Btrfs or zfs for the full system for instance)
25 >>>
26 >>> When using UEFI boot, a vfat partition with support is required.
27 >>>
28 >>> --
29 >>> Joost
30 >> ext2 is on every system, exfat not. ext2 is very stable, tested and well
31 >> aged. exfat is some fuse something crap. New, hardly tested and unstable
32 >> as it gets.
33 >>
34 >> And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.
35 >
36 > If I use ext2 on the USB stick, can I mount and use it as any user on
37 > any Gentoo system from within a file manager like thunar?
38 >
39 > Should I consider ext3/4 with journaling disabled?
40 >
41 > - Grant
45 kde and lxde never had any problems on my systems.