From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hard drive encryption
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:23:42
2 > This thread is becoming ridiculously long. Just as a last side-note:
3 >
4 > One of the primary reasons that the IA64 architecture failed was that it
5 > relied on the compiler to optimize the code in order to exploit the
6 > massive instruction-level parallelism the CPU offered. Compilers never
7 > became good enough for the job. Of course, that happended in the
8 > nineties and we have much better compilers now (and x86 is easier to
9 > handle for compilers). But on the other hand: That was Intel's next big
10 > thing and if they couldn't make the compilers work, I have no reason to
11 > believe in their efficiency now.
12 >
13 > Regards,
14 > Florian Philipp
15
16 Argh, just as I want to quit: I had the dates garbled up. IA64 came out
17 in 2001 but the compiler design was of course a product of the late
18 nineties and the design process started mid-nineties.