From: Fast Turtle <fturtle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext3 FS File Size Limits
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 15:07:32
1 On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 13:01:22 +0000
2 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 04:55:40AM -0700, Fast Turtle wrote:
5 > > I've been going around with this little problem for a while.
6 >
7 > > I have several 30GB files I'm trying to restore from an NTFS formatted
8 > > external backup to an ext3 partition, yet every attempt has failed
9 > > right after 16GB of copying without fail or error message. They
10 > > silently failing and I'm stumped.
11 >
12 > > One of the possible causes I've thought of was running out of innodes
13 > > but don't know how to check that or any of the other options used to
14 > > create the file system on - anyone want to help there?
15 >
16 > > I've also decided to look at the mke2f.conf file in /etc and see some
17 > > default options being passed that may be causing the problems
18 >
19 > > [defaults]
20 > > base_features = sparse_super,filetype,resize_inode,dir_index,ext_attr
21 > > default_mntopts = acl,user_xattr
22 > > enable_periodic_fsck = 0
23 > > blocksize = 4096
24 > > inode_size = 256
25 > > inode_ratio = 16384
26 >
27 > > Normally I use either a 1024 for most everything due to the many small
28 > > files though for the partition I'm attempting to restore the files to,
29 > > I've used 2048 as a compromise due to the number of larger files
30 > > (music/videos) and critical backups from /etc
31 >
32 > The wikipedia page on Ext3 says that with a 1kB blocksize, the maximum
33 > file size is 16GB, but with a 2kB blocksize it's 256GB. Could it be
34 > you've somehow actually got a 1kB blocksize on the partition?
35 >
36 > > I've also tried it with a default 4096 size on a 32GB ext2 formatted
37 > > flash drive but even then, it's failing at 16GB w/o any error message.
38 >
39 > Sounds like laziness on the part of the author of the copy program you're
40 > using.
41
42 if it is, then everyone is in trouble as it's the cp command - been part of *nix for many years
45 > --
46 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
47 >