From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing outside of Portage & cruft removal
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:57:47
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>> What do you guys think of this? Do you know of a good cruft removal script?
3 >>>
4 >> Yep, there's quite good one in gentoo itself.
5 >>
6 >> Basically, you'll need to write a short config for it, consisting of
7 >> lines like "cruft name", "cruft src uri" and a few more lines if you'll
8 >> need to pass some extra parameters to configure/make/install.
9 >> It'll build the package in a sandbox, then transfer it to destination,
10 >> memorizing every change it did and preventing collisions and config
11 >> overwrites.
12 >>
13 >> Just put that config script into an ebuild file and use portage to
14 >> build it - as simple as it gets ;)
17 > I suppose you and Jesus are right, but what about cruft removal? Are
18 > you saying Gentoo is 100% cruft-free? I've got a lot of junk in /etc
19 > and especially ~/.*
20 >
21 > - Grant
26 Portage doesn't remove files from /etc and should never touch any home
27 directory. As far as I know, portage never puts anything in a home
28 directory either. You have to clean out /etc and home directories yourself.
29
30 Portage does do a good job of removing all the other files tho. If it
31 puts it there, it will remove it if you unmerge a package.
32
33 Dale
34