From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads Up - switching to profile 17.1 is not as easy as it sounds
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 11:22:25
1 On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 12:34, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
2
3 > I had some trouble switching to the new profile 17.1.
4 > Following the advice in the news item didn't suffice.
5 >
6 > I had to reinstall some packages "by hand", e.g.
7 > I had to reinstall util-linux quite early.
8 > I had to reinstall x11-libs/libva without the opengl USE flag, since it
9 > couldn't find libopenGL otherwise.
10 >
11 > After reinstalling mesa (which depends on libva), I'll try to reinstall
12 > x11-libs/libva with the opengl USE flag.
13 >
14 > Currently I'm reemerging gcc bintuils glibc before I proceed with the
15 > other packages selected by
16 > emerge -v1 /usr/lib/gcc /lib32 /usr/lib32
17 >
18 > Perhaps, it's only me.
19 >
20 > It isn't. It took me a few days to switch up to 17.1/plasma (because of
21 pesky things like sleep and work).
22
23 first off, `emerge -v1 /lib /lib32` didn't work out because I had an old
24 library in there I
25 had to remove with `emerge --depclean` first. I also have an old install of
26 sickbeard, which
27 I had to remove from world for the same reason: `emerge -v1 /lib /lib32`
28 would just complain
29 about not being able to find an installable source (my words -- can't
30 remember the original
31 terms), but it didn't really look like an error -- all green text.
32
33 I thought I'd just hitch on to the recommended line after that in the news
34 item: `emerge -ev @world`,
35 which would periodically break, usually in the configure stage. I didn't
36 know this before, but it seems
37 that `emerge -e @world` does not merge in dependency order. (Is there a way
38 to make it do so?)
39
40 I started with hunting down and applying `emerge -1` with deps which didn't
41 work, eg:
42 `eix {whatever the last thing complained about}`
43 (look for package which is already installed, and "seems right")
44 `emerge -1 {whatever I found}`
45
46 However, it seems that a bigger hammer may have just worked as well, as I
47 resorted to this after about 20
48 or so hand-helped packages:
49 `emerge -ev @world --keep-going`
50 followed by
51 `emerge --resume`
52 as many times as were necessary until there were no errors in the output.
53
54 I also had to manually remove a symlink for libidns.so.11, which was in
55 /usr/lib64, but pointing at /usr/lib
56 (so ld was complaining after every install) and I had to manually remove
57 /lib32, after doing `equery b /lib32`
58 and all the results mentioning `(lib)` in the line, so I _assumed_ that
59 meant that equery was dereferencing
60 /lib32.
61
62 On that note, does anyone know of a way to figure out what atom a symlink
63 belongs to? Not what it points at
64 -- `equery b /usr/lib64/libidn.so.11` told me that it belonged to libidns,
65 probably because it was dereferencing
66 to /usr/lib/libidn.so, which eventually dereferences to
67 /usr/lib/libidn.so.12.6.0, which _does_ belong to libidn,
68 but what finally gave me the confidence to delete it was to spelunk through
69 the output of `emerge -1 libidn`
70 and see that there was no `.11.so` symlink, so I deleted it, and, out of
71 paranoia, rebuilt -- and it didn't re-appear.
72
73 It would have been great to have been able to run `equery b
74 /usr/lib64/libidn.so.11` and get back nothing, to know
75 "for sure" that it's an invalid link, and I assume there's a way to do so
76 that I'm just not aware of?
77
78 -d
79
80 Helmut
85 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
86 If you say that getting the money is the most important thing
87 You will spend your life completely wasting your time
88 You will be doing things you don't like doing
89 In order to go on living
90 That is, to go on doing things you don't like doing
91
92 Which is stupid.
93
94 - Alan Watts
95 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXTZM_uPMY
96
97 *Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur. *