From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop internal speakers no longer working after recent updates
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:03:12
1 Am Montag, 30. August 2021, 13:30:03 CEST schrieb Michael:
2 > On Monday, 30 August 2021 11:30:38 BST Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
3 > > Hi there,
4 > >
5 > > I have a weird problem on my Lenovo P14s laptop. Before I applied a world
6 > > upgrade (based on August 22 state portage), the internal speaker of the
7 > > laptop worked fine, but now its all silent, although all mixer levels are
8 > > 100% and no channel is muted.
9 >
10 > There was a recent move to pipewire which could have jumbled audio devices
11 > around for you - but I am not familiar with how pipewire works, or why it
12 > would have caused this problem.
13 >
14 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PipeWire
17 I did not install pipewire, so we can exclude this.
18
19 [snip...]
20
21 > $ aplay -l
22 > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
23 > card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: Generic Digital [Generic Digital]
24 > Subdevices: 1/1
25 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
26 > card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: CX20757 Analog [CX20757
27 > Analog] Subdevices: 1/1
28 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
31 Here is output of aplay -l:
32 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
33 card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
34 Subdevices: 0/1
35 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
36 card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
37 Subdevices: 0/1
38 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
39 card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
40 Subdevices: 0/1
41 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
42 card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC257 Analog [ALC257 Analog]
43 Subdevices: 1/1
44 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
45 card 3: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
46 Subdevices: 0/1
47 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
48
49 I added an old USB headset for testing, and *this* card (card 3) is shown in
50 pavcontrol and kde-plasma audio settings, along with the three sub-devices of
51 card 0; however, card 1 is not shown. In alsamixer and aplay I can see the
52 device as "Generic_1", and -- after finding out the pcm name of it via aplay -L
53 -- I could play some wav file with aplay on it:
54
55 aplay -D front:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0 some_wav_file.wav
56
57 It seems to be a pulseaudio problem, which seems to arbitrarily ignoring
58 Generic_1 card.
59
60 > Alternatively, take a look at this method of controlling the order in which
61 > audio modules are loaded:
62 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA#Laptops_with_HDMI_audio_output
63
64 Thanks for the link, brought me to inspect /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf.
65 Corrected the number of sound cards there, but did not help :-(
66 I remember to have edited this file about 10 years ago, not sure if those
67 settings are still relevant.
68
69 Cheers, Alex