From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Will a 64-bit-no-multilib machine cross-compile 32-bit code?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 11:32:46
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 08:46:10AM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote
2
3 > I should warn you against including all of those -mno-xxx flags. This
4 > has been known to break the build process for packages like chromium,
5 > which always wants to build with SSE4 support and toggles it off at
6 > runtime. Passing -mno-sse4.1 causes a build failure as it tries to use
7 > macros that are not defined.
8
9 Weird. The Gentoo wiki documents /etc/portage/package.env at...
10 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Overriding_environment_variables_per_package
11 for handling special cases like this. Not every package tests at
12 runtime. Leaving sse4.1 enabled could result in other packages crashing
13 with illegal instructions. I don't use chromium. But if I did, I'd use
14 package.env to handle it as a special case. Chromium is plain weird
15 anyways. A web browser should not require udev.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications