From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel tuning
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:52
1 On Saturday 01 October 2005 14:59, gentuxx wrote:
2
3 > > - Mark Shields
4 >
5 > IIRC, RedHat kernels are relatively generic in that they have almost
6 > everything turned on, and/or build the modules so that they can
7 > maximize the hardware compatibility. So it is likely that there will
8 > be tones of stuff that was turned on, or had modules build for it,
9 > that you didn't need. The same will likely be the case for the gentoo
10 > kernel. You're best bet is to spend the time on one system going
11 > through each kernel option (within reason), if you don't know what it
12 > does, read the help and/or turn it off (it will give a recommended
13 > setting in the Help). Once you've got your config, use that to build
14 > the kernels for the rest fo your systems.
15 >
16 > I know it's a lot of work, but once you've done it, subsequent
17 > configs/compiles for kernel upgrades, security patches, etc. will go
18 > MUCH faster. 1) Because you'll have a pre-defined kernel config. 2)
19 > You'll know what most of the kernel options are (at least
20 > superficially) and which ones you need enabled. You'll just have to
21 > read the help for any new ones that pop up. ;-)
22 >
23 > HTH
24 >
25 I've done all that, in terms of drivers/features turned on/off/modules. I
26 meant more in terms of things like threads per process, processes per user
27 (ulimit and friends), max data stack, that sort of thing.
28 --
29 John Jolet
30 Your On-Demand IT Department
31 512-762-0729