From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd as a Profile - practical or not?
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:09:37
1 On 18/02/2014 18:24, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Ok, before I go and open up a bug requesting this...
5 >
6 > I know there have to be a lot of people on this list who can answer this
7 > question...
8 >
9 > Is making the use of systemd or not based on a selected Profile, as
10 > opposed to manually trying to do it via USE flags etc, a practical
11 > request, or not?
12 >
13 > Meaning:
14 >
15 > 1. is it doable,
16 >
17 > 2. how hard (on a scale of 1/easy to 10/hard to impossible) would it
18 > be to do this, and
19 >
20 > 3. regardless of the difficulty in achieving it, how hard would it be
21 > (on a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (hard to impossible)) to maintain in
22 > the long run?
23 >
24 > I'm hoping that even if the answer to #2 above is 7+, if the answer to
25 > #3 is 'relatively easy' or better, then maybe it still stands a chance
26 > of getting done.
27 >
28 > And incidentally, Canek, if I was a programmer, I'd be happy to
29 > volunteer to take it on, but alas I'm just a lowly user...
30
31 Didn't we discuss this very question a few months back? (it might have
32 been on -dev though)
33
34 I recall a distinct sticking point being the immediate doubling of
35 number of profiles - you'd need as many as there are no, doubled. 1 for
36 a systemd version, 1 for a non-systemd version
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com