From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] samba and window 7 NTFS
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:00:49
1 Am Fri, 5 Dec 2014 23:16:37 +0000
2 schrieb Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On Friday 05 Dec 2014 16:11:26 Matti Nykyri wrote:
5 > > > On Dec 4, 2014, at 22:21, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:15:07 +0000, thegeezer wrote:
8 > > >>> In order to format the USB stick to NTFS I need this option in kernel
9 > > >>> as well, am I correct?
10 > > >>
11 > > >> yes
12 > > >
13 > > > You're probably better off not using the in-kernel NTFS and using ntfs-3g
14 > > > instead, which also includes mkfs.ntfs. You can't format a filesystem
15 > > > with just a kernel driver.
16 > >
17 > > Same opinoin here. The in-kernel driver is only good for reading files and
18 > > directories. If anything else is needed use ntfs3g.
19 >
20 > This is right, ntfs-3g is a safe way of accessing NTFS from Linux.
21 >
22 > Just mentioned in passing that the ntfs in-kernel driver is really good for
23 > recovering corrupted NTFS partitions. I tried the same with ntfs-3g and it
24 > couldn't read it. The kernel driver had no problem doing so. YMMV.
25
26 In that vein: a couple of years ago I rescued data from a neighbours Windows 7
27 drive with ddrescue and, because ddrescue was "stuck" at the last 0.x percent,
28 ntfsck, which was part of the ntfsprogs package at the time, and (I think) was
29 already being developed as part of ntfs3g.
30
31 I was pleasantly surprised that it worked.
34 Marc Joliet
35 --
36 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
37 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup