From: Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: default CONFIG_PROTECT behavior
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 17:40:38
1 On 2018-06-19 17:15, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2018-06-18 11:34, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Oh, the other tool you'll want to use is etckeeper to manage /etc in a
5 >> git repo and auto-commit changes/etc with package manager hooks. That
6 >> is a cross-distro tool, and will save your butt if you mess something
7 >> up.
8 >
9 > I already do this, only without any packaging/wrapping like etckeeper,
10 > just bare git. It's why I want to skip all the the gentoo merge
11 > thingies, get a crack at the updated file shipped with a package,
12 > insert
13 > this into git on a parallel branch, then merge in the git way.
14
15 Not sure that it could solve your issue ... but I wrote a tool that - at
16 least for me - solves all the issues with etc-update and friends.
17
18 In general the usage of sdiff is terrible to me. So I did my own
19 solution. Unfortunately it is not ready to publish it, but if it is
20 perhaps of interest to you have a look at
21 http://gentoo.dyndn.es/doku.php/utils:qrtconf. This page describes
22 mainly the concept and isn't really finished. If it would be worth to
23 give it a try to you let me know and I will share it. For me it works
24 since a few years with some development.
25
26 Kai
27 --
28 Sent with eQmail-1.11 beta