From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] info for ipw2200 users
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:56:35
1 On Saturday 20 January 2007 23:06, David Corbin wrote:
2 > > You ran the script and you were warned. The ieee80211 ebuild is depended
3 > > upon by four external, wireless net drivers: ipw{2100,2200,3945} and
4 > > rt2x00.
5 >
6 > Having just gotten my ipw2100 to be working (kind of), I want to comment on
7 > this. This is just stupid. There's nothing wrong with having that source
8 > in the kernel if it's not configured is there? The solution used here
9 > seems just wrong to me.
10
11 Oh, I'm sure the devs would be interested if you have a better solution.. I
12 haven't bothered to even attempt to find out whether or why this is
13 necessary. Fortunately we as ipw2100 users don't have to care any longer
14 because the external ipw2x00 kernel modules are no longer required. Just use
15 the in-kernel modules and you won't have to deal with this ever again...
16 That's what this thread is all about.
17
18 Also just a side note to the OP. Just because ipw2200 has been masked doesn't
19 mean you have to rebuild a working kernel that allready has the external
20 modules working. You could just unmerge ipw2200 and ieee80211. /lib/modules
21 are under forced CONFIG_PROTECT so the modules won't be removed from there
22 during the unmerge. Next time you upgrade your kernel anyway you just have to
23 make sure they get enabled as modules in the kernel.
26 Bo Andresen