From: Matthew Sacks <matthew@×××××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] virtualbox woes
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 01:02:24
1 Thank you!
2
3 Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows
4
5 From: Michael<mailto:confabulate@××××××××.com>
6 Sent: Monday, August 1, 2022 1:17 AM
7 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o<mailto:gentoo-user@l.g.o>
8 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox woes
9
10 On Monday, 1 August 2022 01:46:32 BST Matthew Sacks wrote:
11 > The vbox log and screenshot are all I have to go off. Next time I”ll provide
12 > that upfront. New to these parts (gentoo lists).
13
14 No problem. :-)
15
16 > It crashes on boot actually to answer your question.
17
18 I've always run VBox on a linux host, so I am not familiar with MSWindows host
19 peculiarities. However, I would think VBox on MSWindows would/should be plug
20 'n play.
21
22 From what you've shown you're experiencing a kernel crash of the VM at boot.
23 I'd start by looking at the configuration of the linux kernel you're trying to
24 boot and at the same time consider the settings of the VM appropriate for your
25 hardware, e.g. use AHCI/NVMe for storage instead of PIIX, add more than one
26 CPU, adequate memory, etc.
27
28 Starting with these recommendations for Gentoo guests should get you in the
29 right ballpark:
30
31 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox#Gentoo_guests
32
33 PS. When you boot the Live media within the VM to install Gentoo make sure
34 you boot it as legacy BIOS or as UEFI and configure VBox to match.