From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] comparing two complex directories
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:19:03
1 Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
2
3 > James schrieb:
4 > > All,
5 > >
6 > > I'm trying to find a good way to compare two complex directory
7 > > structures to see what files differ. I've looked at a few different
10 > > - rsync dry run (someone said this should work, but I'm having trouble
11 > > getting good information out of this)
12 > > - diff -rq (this works, but it's sloowwwwww)
13 > >
14 > > I've used cdircmp before but it tends to crash on complex directories
15 > > (a directory with more than a few subdirs and with hidden dot files).
16 > >
17 > > Thoughts? Any specific / good utilities for doing this?
18
19 star -c -diff -v -C from-dir . to-dir
20
21 Check diffopts= to learn how to tell star what to compare.
22
23 It is fast, compares all file attributes and it does not go into loops if you
24 encounter symlinks to directories.
25
26 Jörg
29 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin