Gentoo Archives: gentoo-user

From: Stolz <stolz@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems translating a web page using gettext and UTF-8
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:34:27
1 I'm translating a web page from English to Spanish using gettext, but I'm having problems with UTF-8.
3 The problem:
4 All my web pages translated with gettext declare themselves as UTF-8 encoding but it is actually iso-8859-1 (latin-1).
5 I reach that conclusion using Firefox to enforce the encoding the page is viewed in. Firefox detects page encoding as UTF-8 but displays boxes instead of regular characters. If I force Firefox to use iso-8859-1 the characters are displayed correctly.
6 Text from web pages wich have not been translated with gettext is displayed correctly with UTF-8 encoding, so I'm sure it's a gettext problem.
8 Te question:
9 Why msgfmt generates de .mo file in iso-8859-1 and not in UTF-8? How can I solve it?
11 If it helps:
12 -All my source files (*.php) are in UTF-8.
14 -APACHE is set to use UTF-8 by default UTF-8 (AddDefaultCharset UTF-8)
16 -My .po file is in UTF-8:
17 # file locale/es_ES/messages.po
18 locale/es_ES/messages.po: UTF-8 Unicode PO (gettext message catalogue) text
20 -I've set charset to UTF-8 in the .po header:
21 # grep charset locale/es_ES/messages.po
22 "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n"
25 And the commands I've used to generate the .pot,.po and .mo files are:
26 # mkdir -p locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/
27 # xgettext --indent --no-wrap --sort-by-file --from-code=UTF-8 --output locale/messages.pot *.php
28 # cp locale/messages.pot locale/es_ES/messages.po
29 # msgfmt --verbose --output-file locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/ locale/es_ES/messages.po
32 T.I.A
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list