From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dbus and HAL errors
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 11:15:23
1 On Sunday 09 March 2008, Thufir wrote:
2 > From the user profile, I ran "xhost +" to allow connections to the x
3 > server (is that a correct understanding?).
4
5 This is entirely unrelated to dbus and hal. On most modern setups, it
6 probably also won't do anything, as the dm probably starts X with
7 the '-nolisten tcp' option
8
9 > As root I'm getting HAL errors:
10 >
11 > arrakis ~ #
12 > arrakis ~ # nautilus
13 > Initializing gnome-mount extension
14
15 why are you running gnome as root?
16
17 Bad bad bad boy. Report to the principal's office for detention.
18 This has been hashed to death by many people who really know what they
19 are talking about, so I give the executive summary instead:
20
21 NEVER EVER RUN X AS ROOT. It's bad enough the bloody thing is suid, but
22 there's no way around that so we tolerate it.
23
24 > ** (nautilus:8513): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system
25 > org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound : Failed to connect to socket
26 > / var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
27 >
28 > ** (nautilus:8513): WARNING **: Could not initialize hal context
29 >
30 > Shutting down gnome-mount extension
31 >
32 > arrakis ~ #
33 >
34 > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=365442&page=3
35 >
36 > talks about starting the dbus service before HAL?
37
38 properly configured, dbus *will* start before hald:
39
40 alan@nazgul /etc/init.d $ cat dbus
41 ...
42 depend() {
43 need localmount
44 after bootmisc
45 }
48 alan@nazgul /etc/init.d $ cat hald
49 ...
50 depend() {
51 use logger acpid
52 need dbus
53 after coldplug dns nscd
54 }
55
56 Do you have dbus and hald properly configured to start in the default
57 runlevel?
60 Alan McKinnon
61 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
64 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list