From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb modem pantech uml290
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 00:07:58
1 On 02/28/2011 03:48 PM, Nils Holland wrote:
2 > On 15:24 Sat 26 Feb , Valmor de Almeida wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> Is anyone using the uml290 modem? I've never used one and recently
6 >> acquired this model. What other kernel support is needed in addition
7 >> to usb modem? and what package is needed to connect the modem
8 >> (currently I use wicd for wired and wireless connection on a laptop
9 >> where I intend to use the usb modem)? I've been checking info on the
10 >> web and ubuntu seems to work with the modem but I have not found
11 >> specific information on how to configure the kernel.
12 >
13 > Well, not that I have any specific information or experience with this
14 > modem, but you might want to have a look at
15 >
16 > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/acm.txt
17 >
18 > on your local machine (assuming you have the kernel sources
19 > installed). If your USB modem happens to support the CDC ACM standard,
20 > then the information in that file should get you started.
21 >
22 > Greetings,
23 > Nils
26 Thanks for the info. So far I have connected the modem and it is
27 recognized by the kernel; so I think I have what is needed as far as
28 kernel configuration goes. Support for usb modems is still not in wicd
29 therefore I am replacing wicd by networkmanager which apparently works
30 with this modem under ubuntu. Will post more as I troubleshoot this. One
31 thing is the authentication type. The modem works with 3G and 4G
32 networks; apparently only 3G is supported by CDC ACM??? I've got the
33 modem activated and its firmware upgraded using a Windows Vista laptop;
34 so I know the modem works. Also most places I've been to only have 3G
35 network; don't know what is going to happen in a 4G area.
36
37 Later,
40 Valmor