From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel parameters for VirtualBox
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:12:02
1 On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 01:32:56 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I'm going round in circles here. I've been running VirtualBox and
5 > BOINC for
6 > years with no problems to speak of.
7 >
8 > Over the last year or more I've experienced mysterious failures in many
9 > programs, some of them real nuisances, and recently I decided to replace my
10 > RAM modules with a single matched set, which seems to have done the trick -
11 > so far! It's required complete recompilation of everything, and throwing
12 > away quite a lot of data that seemed to have been damaged at some time
13 > (hello KMail).
14
15 Corruption due to bad memory can't be blamed on the actual software.
16
17 > Now however I can't get VirtualBox running properly. I've tried the latest
18 > stable version and two testing versions, but at every login via KDM I get a
19 > pop-up notice "VBoxClient: the VirtualBox kernel service is not running."
20 > That's without any clients active or trying to be. If I then start
21 > virtualbox- guest-additions I get this:
22 >
23 > # /etc/init.d/virtualbox-guest-additions start
25 > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxguest': No such device
26 > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxsf': No such device
27 > * ERROR: virtualbox-guest-additions failed to start
28
29 This is ONLY for guests, NOT the host.
30
31 > I assume I'm missing something in my kernel config, but I can't see what.
32 >
33 > linux # grep -i virt .config
34 > # CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN is not set
35 > CONFIG_HAVE_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN=y
36 > CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
37 > # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
38 > # CONFIG_SND_VIRTUOSO is not set
39 > CONFIG_VIRT_DRIVERS=y
40 > # Virtio drivers
41 > # CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI is not set
42 > # CONFIG_VIRTIO_MMIO is not set
43 > # CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL is not set
44 > CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
45
46 VirtualBox does NOT use these.
47 I only have the following set:
48 # CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN is not set
49 CONFIG_HAVE_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN=y
50 CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
53 > Most of those unset values are for when this kernel is running as a guest of
54 > another OS, so I assume I don't need them when running as the host OS.
55 > Others I can't set because they're hidden until I set the values to be a
56 > guest.
57 >
58 > I can find lots of other people struggling with this and similar problems,
59 > but no fix.
60 >
61 > Any ideas here?
62
63 Yes, for the host, make sure you load the virtualbox modules:
64
65 % lsmod | grep vbox
66 vboxpci 12760 0
67 vboxnetflt 16280 0
68 vboxnetadp 17808 0
69 vboxdrv 347894 3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci
72 I achieve this with the following:
73
74 % cat /etc/conf.d/modules | grep vbox
75 modules="vboxdrv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci"
76
77 These can be found in " app-emulation/virtualbox-modules "
78
79 It tells you to do this in the post-emerge:
80
81 * If you are using sys-apps/openrc, please add "vboxdrv", "vboxnetflt"
82 * and "vboxnetadp" to:
83 * /etc/conf.d/modules
86 Joost