From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 01:03:27
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 6:38 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> Suppose you use a VPN connection. How do does the client (employee)
5 >> secure their own network and the machine they're using to work remotely
6 >> then?
7 >
8 > Poorly, most likely. Your data is probably not nearly as important to
9 > them as their data is, and most people don't take great care of their
10 > own data.
11
12 That's not what I meant to ask. Assume you are an employee supposed to
13 work from home through a VPN connection: How do you protect your LAN?
16 > [...]
17 >> What's the Linux equivalent of RDP sessions? Some sort of VNC seems to
18 >> usually require a lot of bandwidth, and I wouldn't know how to run it as
19 >> a service so that someone could just start a client (like rdesktop) and
20 >> log in to the server as they can do with Windoze servers. --- I only
21 >> found x11rdp which appears to be incompatible with current X servers.
22 >
23 > There is stuff like xtogo and other NX-like technologies, but the
24 > trend seems to be towards client-side rendering which makes them
25 > perform about as well as VNC. I mostly gave up on it ages ago - it
26 > was fairly fragile to keep working as well. I do know one of the
27 > maintainers - perhaps it has gotten better in recent years.
28 >
29 > However, while an RDP-like solution protects you from some types of
30 > attacks, it still leaves you open to many client-side problems like
31 > keylogging. I don't know any major corporation that lets people RDP
32 > into their applications in general.
33
34 What do they use instead?
35
36 This sounds as if it's basically impossible to work from a remote
37 location, at least when Linux comes into it at some point.
38