From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need coaching with emerge failure logs (Understanting the problem)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 17:26:13
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 21:58:05 +0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 170225-09:19-0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>> Setup: VBox vm running gentoo(amd64) guest on a win-10 (64bit) host
6 >>> Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram
7 >>>
8 >> [ some cca. 80k text cut here ]
9 >>
10 >> Go for the guides, in which you will find that sending 5.5M log in an
11 >> email is plain wrong.
12 > On this list, it is preferred to attach logs rather than post them
13 > elsewhere with a link. That way all the information stays together.
14 >
15 > However, as Stroller mentioned, the escape codes make a bit of a mess.
16 > Logs this large could be gzipped before attaching.
20 This is true. I've ran into people doing that before elsewhere and the
21 place they put the logs would have deleted the files. A lot of places
22 that allow you to post files, delete them after a while which means
23 anyone searching later can't even see what the problem was. Given they
24 are usually free, who can blame them.
25
26 Usually, I post the part at the end, making sure to get the "error 1"
27 part and a dozen or so prior lines. If more is needed, then I can post
28 what is needed when asked.
29
30 This list is different since we archive things pretty much forever.
31 Heck, I even save my local storage of email for years here. One never
32 knows what they may run into that searching the past helps.
33
34 I wonder, why doesn't someone set up a wiki page that contains the way
35 Gentoo mailing lists work? Maybe link to it from the page that lists
36 all the mailing lists and how to subscribe. That would help people to
37 know how Gentoo does things, differently at least.
38
39 Dale
40