From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: new mail client
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:17:17
1 On 08/30/2010 04:10 PM, James wrote:
2 > OK, so I/m ready to move a few users from the mail client in Seamonkey
3 > to a new mail client package. Thunderbird looks reasonable, runs on Winblows
4 > and Linux and is not tied to a given desktop platform. I did
5 > read bugzilla about enigmail not working with the latest
6 > thunderbird: Bug 301114. ;-) Is there a better(alternative) way
7 > to use encryption with thunderbird?
8 Enigmail works great, if installed via usual extension mechanism. It's
9 just, that the user (or you for them) has to do it once...
10
11 > In general, I like the way the
12 > mozilla mail systems work, but, I want something, easy
13 > to admin (users do email backups), easy to migrate
14 > from seamonkey, and able to run on Winblows or Linux.
15 >
16 > A nice system wide backup strategy with around 2 dozen
17 > thunderbird clients, is also part of the strategy. So
18 > first users try to retrieve their lost emails, then
19 > ask an admin...... I like a separate backup system for email
20 > not part of the regular backup system.....
21 TB3 brings archive support. I don't know if that is what you need, but
22 see for yourself:
23 http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Archived+messages
24
25 I prefer having all mails stored on the server (used with IMAP) and
26 backing that up. Most users I know just forget to make backups/archives.
27 Of course if they need a lost mail - you're right - it's work for us :(
28 I think dovecot-imap has an automated archiving mechanism too...
29
30 Bye,
31 Daniel
35 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
36 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887