From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ISO on /boot
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 11:57:32
1 On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 11:05:12 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > I've seen people say they have a rescue ISO image in their /boot
4 > partition. I'd like to try this; is there any particular knack to it,
5 > or do I just copy the ISO image into place? I'm using bootctl from
6 > sys-boot/systemd-boot.
7
8 Unlike GRUB, systemd-boot doesn't have the ability to boot directly from
9 an ISO image (GRUB can mount the ISO) but if you are using System Rescue,
10 you can mount the mage and copy the relevant files to /boot. Full
11 instructions are on the System Rescue site, here the the boot loader
12 entry I use
13
14 title System Rescue 9.01
15 version 9.01
16 linux /sysresccd/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz
17 options archisobasedir=sysresccd archisolabel=boot setkmap=uk rootpass=password1
18 initrd /sysresccd/boot/x86_64/sysresccd.img
19
20 You need to set a filesystem label on /boot and use that for the archisolabel argument.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.