From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS tutorial for the brain dead sysadmin?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 16:55:36
1 On 27 July 2014 18:25:24 CEST, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 >Am 26.07.2014 04:47, schrieb walt:
3 >
4 >> So, why did the "broken" machine work normally for more than a year
5 >> without rpcbind until two days ago? (I suppose because nfs-utils was
6 >> updated to 1.3.0 ?)
7 >>
8 >> The real problem here is that I have no idea how NFS works, and each
9 >> new version is more complicated because the devs are solving problems
10 >> that I don't understand or even know about.
11 >
12 >I double your search for understanding ... my various efforts to set up
13 >NFSv4 for sharing stuff in my LAN also lead to unstable behavior and
14 >frustration.
15 >
16 >Only last week I re-attacked this topic as I start using puppet here to
17 >manage my systems ... and one part of this might be sharing
18 >/usr/portage
19 >via NFSv4. One client host mounts it without a problem, the thinkpads
20 >don't do so ... just another example ;-)
21 >
22 >Additional in my context: using systemd ... so there are other
23 >(different?) dependencies at work and services started.
24 >
25 >I'd be happy to get that working in a reliable way. I don't remember
26 >unstable behavior with NFS (v2 back then?) when we used it at a company
27 >I worked for in the 90s.
28 >
29 >Stefan
30
31 I use NFS for filesharing between all wired systems at home.
32 Samba is only used for MS Windows and laptops.
33
34 Few things I always make sure are valid:
35 - One partition per NFS share
36 - No NFS share is mounted below another one
37 - I set the version to 3 on the clients
38 - I use LDAP for the user accounts to ensure the UIDs and GIDs are consistent.
39
40 NFS4 requires all the exports to be under a single foldertree.
41
42 I haven't had any issues in the past 7+ years with this and in the past 5+ years I had portage, distfiles and packages shared.
43 /etc/portage is symlinked to a NFS share as well, allowing me to create binary packages on a single host (inside a chroot) which are then used to update the different machines.
44
45 If anyone wants a more detailed description of my setup. Let me know and I will try to write something up.
46
47 Kind regards
48
49 Joost
52 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.