From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot has no space left.
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 23:32:22
1 On 2022-07-15 00:21+0100 Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On 15/07/2022 00:01, Dale wrote:
4 > > Guillermo García wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> Hello again guys, how are you? I hope you're fine.
7 > >>
8 > >> I remember someone told me a program to use to remove old kernels
9 > >> in order to get more space on /boot, i tried to search the
10 > >> original message that the guy sent me trough this list, but i
11 > >> cannot find it.
12 > >>
13 > >> Here's a screenshot of my /boot folder:
14 > >>
15 > >> I guess the kernel version i use is this one:
16 > >>
17 > >> Could someone tell me a method to remove the old kernels in order
18 > >> to get more space in /boot?
19 > >>
20 > >> Thank you, and regards,
21 > >>
22 > >> Guillermo.
23 > >>
26 > > I found it for you.  The package is app-admin/eclean-kernel.  I
27 > > think there is a wiki page on the Gentoo website for that.  I
28 > > recall it being pretty easy to use.
29 > >
30 > Bear in mind, if the OP is running 5.15.10, that's the second oldest
31 > kernel in the list. If he's got five newer kernels there, is
32 > eclean-kernel going to assume the live kernel is out-of-date and
33 > delete it? NOT a good idea.
34 >
35 > The OP needs to make sure that both 5.15.41 and 5.15.48 are in his
36 > boot menu, AND that they both work, before risking clearing out the
37 > rest ...
38
39 The current kernel is never removed by eclean-kernel.
40
41 > The kernel choice algorithm is quite simple:
42 >
43 > 1. If the kernel is currently used, don't remove it;
44 > 2. If the kernel is referenced by a bootloader, don't remove it
45 > (unless ``--destructive``);
46 > 3. If auxiliary files do not map to existing kernel, remove them;
47 > 4. If ``--all`` is used, remove the kernel;
48 > 5. If kernel is not within *N* newest kernels (where *N* is the
49 > argument to ``-n``), remove it.
50
51 <https://github.com/mgorny/eclean-kernel/blob/master/README.rst>
52
53 Since the grub boot menu includes all kernels in /boot by default as
54 far as i know, it is probably necessary to run eclean-kernel with
55 --destructive and re-generate the boot menu afterwards.
56
57 Kind regards, tastytea