From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: resolv.conf full of old info
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 09:22:28
1 On Wednesday, 19 October 2022 01:00:31 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2022-10-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I've noticed that /etc/resolv.conf seems to accumulate obsolete,
4 > > useless info as my laptop moves from one network to another. It looks
5 > > like dhcpcd adds stuff when a connection comes up, but never removes
6 > > it when the connection goes down.
7 >
8 > This appears to be caused by the "persistent" option in dhcpcd.conf,
9 > which is set by default. I commented it out, and now resolv.conf
10 > behaves rationally: it only contains info for network connections that
11 > are up.
12 >
13 > Why would dhcpcd have the persistent option enabled by default?
14 >
15 > --
16 > Grant
17
18 I think because this causes less breakage in those cases where netmount,
19 remote syslog-ng, SSH clients, or root mounted NFS is in play? This is what
20 the man page says about it:
21
22 "... dhcpcd normally de-configures the interface and configuration when it
23 exits. Sometimes, this isn't desirable if, for example, you have root mounted
24 over NFS or SSH clients connect to this host and they need to be notified of
25 the host shutting down."