From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge bash-completion
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 15:08:22
1 Behrouz Khosravi wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, May 06, 2015 04:37:55 AM Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> This is my output:
5 >> The P means it is in the portage tree. The I means that it is
6 >> installed. Based on your info, you are using a older version of
7 >> bash-completion than I am.
8 >>
9 >> Dale
10 >>
11 >> :-) :-)
12 > Thanks, Are you on ~AMD64 ?
13 > My version is the last in stable.
14 > I added keyword, but It will install newer version of bash too. Is it stable ?
19 I'm using this version of bash, which I'm sure is the keyworded version.
20
21 app-shells/bash-4.3_p33-r2
22
23 I don't know of any issues so I guess it is OK but your system may be
24 different too.
25
26 This was mentioned in another reply but I'm putting the info here for
27 you. This is the news item for this which could be the problem.
28
29 root@fireball / # eselect news read 19
30 2014-11-25-bash-completion-2_1-r90
31 Title bash-completion-2.1-r90
32 Author Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
33 Posted 2014-11-25
34 Revision 1
35
36 Starting with app-shells/bash-completion-2.1-r90, the framework used to
37 enable and manage completions in Gentoo is finally changing in order to
38 properly follow upstream design. This has some important implications
39 for our users.
40
41 Firstly, the install location for completions changes to follow upstream
42 default. The completions enabled before the upgrade will continue to
43 work but you may no longer be able to enable or disable completions
44 installed prior to the upgrade. To solve this issue, the packages
45 installing completions need to rebuilt. The following command can be
46 used to automatically rebuild all the relevant packages:
47
48 $ find /usr/share/bash-completion -maxdepth 1 -type f \
49 '!' -name 'bash_completion' -exec emerge -1v {} +
50
51 Secondly, the autoloading support introduced upstream removes the
52 penalties involved with enabling a great number of completions. This
53 allowed us to switch to an opt-out model where all completions installed
54 after the upgrade are enabled by default. Specific completions can be
55 disabled using 'eselect bashcomp disable ...'
56
57 The model change implies that all current selections done using 'eselect
58 bashcomp' can not be properly migrated and will be disregarded when
59 the relevant completion files are built against the new bash-completion
60 version. After rebuilding all the packages providing completion files,
61 you may want to remove the symlinks that were used to configure
62 the previous framework using the following command:
63
64 $ find /etc/bash_completion.d -type l -delete
65
66 Thirdly, we have solved the issue causing bash-completion support to be
67 enabled by default on login shells only. If you needed to explicitly
68 source 'bash_completion' script in bashrc, you can safely remove that
69 code now since system-wide bashrc takes care of loading it.
70
71 Lastly, we would like to explain that USE=bash-completion is being
72 removed from packages for the completions will be installed
73 unconditionally now. However, this will result in some implicit
74 dependencies being removed. Most specifically, users wishing to use
75 bash-completion will have to request app-shells/bash-completion
76 explicitly, e.g.:
77
78 $ emerge -n app-shells/bash-completion
79
80 root@fireball / #
83 Maybe that will fix it and you can stay stable. Maybe. ;-)
84
85 Dale
86