From: Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Good command for wiping a hard drive?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:00:56
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Sold my laptop on Ebay. It was dual boot Gentoo/XP Pro and had
3 > financial data on it. I'd like to pretty securely wipe the drive
4 > before shipping. I've already deleted all 10 partitions and written
5 > new partitions on which are different sizes and different file
6 > systems. What simple command can Ido to write data to the whole drive?
7
8 Assuming your hard disk is /dev/hda, I'd do:
9
10 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=8M
11
12 Then go have a coffee. If you want it more secure, go for this, a few
13 times in a row (at least 7, I read):
14
15 dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda bs=8M
16
17 However, this will take a *long* time, as /dev/urandom is quite slow.
18 But it will make the data unrecoverable even with expensive means.
19
20 -- Remy
23 Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list