From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: poisonbl@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:30:08
1 On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:13:27 -0400
2 "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > fighting on the topic of 'proper use of mailing lists' when you're
5 > standing in stark contrast to the configuration of the mailing list
6 > you're using to do it,
7
8 Which fight? It is a short notice as to why it is being done, as well
9 as what can be done to make a change. Convincing individually isn't.
10
11 > and in the process, telling everyone (many of which have been around
12 > here helping other users for many, many, years) that they're wrong
13 > for using the list they've been using in the manner they've been
14 > using it...
15
16 Words are being turned around here, I've never said someone is wrong;
17 however, I provided filtering as an option to them to consider.
18
19 > when I see your name appear the first time as long ago as
20 > last Dec., is rather on the arrogant side at the least (I'm not
21 > certain if you've been around -dev or another longer, as I don't
22 > believe I'm subscribed on that one).
23
24 There are more mailing lists and communication mediums; the reason
25 I've not replied much in this one since last year, is because I've let
26 this inbox grow to ~1000 unread mails or so which I'm progressing now.
27
28 > If you're really hellbent on getting the configuration of the list
29 > changed, feel free to take it up with the person who configures the
30 > list, rather than approaching it by being condescending to the people
31 > who consistently use it.
32
33 That's for those that have a problem with it to do; as well a getting
34 it confirmed that a certain way of responding is required, there's been
35 nothing said about it when mails of mine went out to persons from the
36 infrastructure team on the gentoo-dev ML and neither by other devs.
37
38 Developers recommend each other to use a rule, and everyone uses it;
39 it might be a side effect of procmail being available on our dev SSH,
40 but in any case it works out well for every developer, see this link:
41
42 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Procmail
43
44 "The mailing list etiquette requires people to CC all the people
45 involved in a particular thread in replies to the mailing list, in case
46 any of them is not subscribed."
49 With kind regards,
50
51 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
52 Gentoo Developer
53
54 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
55 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
56 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D