From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Nvidia driver plus kernel info questions
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 16:53:59
1 Howdy,
2
3 I mentioned in another thread that I was going to upgrade to a much
4 newer kernel.  I also have to make sure Nvidia supports that kernel.
5 So, I went to the Nvidia site and did a search by model number.  This is
6 the output of lspci:
9 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX
10 650] (rev a1)
13 So, I did the manual thing, since this is Linux not windoze, and
14 selected the series and model.  According to the list it provided, I
15 should be using the drivers in the 440 slot.  I'm currently using the
16 390 slot since when I installed that card, that is what it showed.  I'm
17 almost 100% certain I checked this when installing this card.  My
18 question is, is it normal for nvidia to change the series of drivers for
19 cards like this?  Am I reading this wrong?  Link to Nvidia site.
20
21 https://www.geforce.com/drivers
22
23 I couldn't provide a link to the selected part since it doesn't seem to
24 provide one, java stuff I guess.  Next link I went too.
25
26 https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/159360/
27
28 According to that the 440 series supports the 5.6 series of kernel.  It
29 doesn't indicate a specific version tho.  Does that mean I can go to the
30 very latest version or do I need to look elsewhere to see what is
31 supported?  If it matters, I use gentoo-sources.  Currently on 4.19.40
32 and I'm showing gentoo-sources-5.6.7 as the latest available in the
33 tree.  Since I don't upgrade kernels much, may as well take a large
34 leap.  ;-)
35
36 Thanks much.  A little confused.
37
38 Dale
39
41
42 P. S. Got my garden about half disced. Dry side about ready to plant and
43 wet side is lightly disced to help it dry out.  :-D