From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How long does "Verifying /usr/portage" take?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 19:06:53
1 On 2018-07-06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2018-07-06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Now that the public key stuff is working again (knock on wood), I'm
5 >> curious if it's usual for an emerge --sync to take 10-15 minutes
6 >> longer than it used due to the "Verifying /usr/portage" step.
7 >>
8 >> On some systems (with fewer packages installed) it only takes a minute
9 >> or less. But, on my "main" desktop system it takes 10-15 minutes every
10 >> time.
11 >
12 > I cleared out /usr/portage/distfiles, and the verify time dropped to
13 > about 10 seconds. I should probably do that more often...
14
15 FWIW, I think that change was due to a warm buffer cache. The next
16 few times I did a sync the verify was back to the usual 10+ minutes
17 (with /usr/portage/distfiles still empty).
20 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! With YOU, I can be
21 at MYSELF ... We don't NEED
22 gmail.com Dan Rather ...