From: Johannes Kimmel <johannes.kimmel@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remove redundant entries in "world" - howto
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 22:44:24
1 On 12/08/2010 12:23 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > does anybody know about an easy method to remove all entries from
5 > /var/lib/portage/world
6 > which would have been pulled in anyway
7 > even if they were not contained in world.
8 >
9 > My current attempt would be to write a script
10 > which executes emerge -vpc on each entry in world.
11 > If it wouldn't be removed it's obsolete in world.
12 >
13 > Unfortunately this has to be done in several rounds.
14 >
15 > Many thanks for a hint,
16 > Helmut.
20 Hi,
21
22 I wanted to add, that a minimal world in my opinion isn't always what
23 you want. For example in the time I searched for a suitable window
24 manager for me I did a lot of depclean these days and accidently removed
25 the xserver. There was no harm done, but I figured, that my world file
26 should contain all packages, that should never removed automatically
27 unless I want to. This way there is a little less danger involved using
28 depclean. So this type of work might only be done by hand.
29
30 Johannes Kimmel