From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo User posting diagrams, graphics?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:13:16
1 On Monday, October 26, 2015 03:40:04 PM James wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > So working on my new (proposed) security architecture, I need to post
6 > some diagrams to make the questions more precise. I'm thinking about a
7 > combination of firewall+nat and a transparent bridge-filter to prevent even
8 > sophisticated (DDos) attacks from being successful. I use the gmane
9 > front end to gentoo-user, so I guess the best/simplest technology for
10 > diagrams starts with the use of ascii_art ?
11
12 Most graphical mail clients don't display ascii_art correctly.
13
14 > It'd be very cool to at least use something like 'dia' or even more (color)
15 > robust drawing tools? Folks like to keep all the pertinent info in the mail
16 > posting, but using additional resources to put up fancy graphics, would be a
17 > keen addition to gentoo_user, imho? Maybe placing diagrams on a gentoo
18 > manage resource or github?
19
20 Personally, I don't care if people occasionally add a
21 screenshot/drawing/whatever as attachment to emails if they are necessary to
22 clarify the question and/or answer.
23
24 > Last, I'd like to end up with a Full Office type of example (DNS, mail and
25 > web servers and LAN). To eventually migrate the information to the gentoo
26 > wiki; so if the graphics and diagrams are gentoo wiki compatible, that would
27 > be great.
28
29 I think most commonly used graphical formats are supported.
30
31 > I'd like to end up with the least steps for this. Or at least a
32 > set of well defined filters/scripts to convert what I post to gentoo-user
33 > into an acceptable form (jpeg?) that is easily displayed on the Gentoo
34 > wiki.
35
36 Personally: JPEG or similar, high compression (not too much as to loose
37 detail) and cropped to the minimal required.
38
39 > Maybe something already exists? Maybe I should then file a bug to get wider
40 > "buy-in" from the doc team? Ideas, discussion and examples are appreciated.
41
42 I don't know if anything already exists.
43
44 However, if it is highly specific, a wiki-page or similar might be an option
45 where interested parties collaborate with an occasional posting to the mailing
46 list with specific questions or requests for comments?
49 Joost