From: Mr G <persistence2success@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What does xgetdefault use flag do
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 19:13:38
1 On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 > On Monday 27 May 2013 17:58:35 Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >> I also have no idea what "small version" means - it's not English, it
8 >
9 >> doesn't parse, and it makes no sense.
13 > It is understandable if there is a small version of aterm. Perhaps aterm
14 > itself rather than multi-aterm?
18 > --
19 >
20 > Peter
24 I am still not sure if "small" means both small in size and small in
25 features or just small in features. I did not build it both ways and
26 compare, in fact, I built rxvt-unicode and the flag was completely
27 irrelevant. Wasn't having one of my good days evidently. I have built
28 several Gentoo systems over the last few months but they have been
29 gentoo-hardened servers and routers. This is/was my first attempt at a
30 desktop and it is exposing my lack of understanding of X in general. I am
31 one of those people who find that to be a good thing and have learned a lot
32 this week.
33
34 I believe now that what that flag does is allows you to build a terminal
35 that is small, as in lightweight on resources. You can build it so that it
36 would not read the xdefaults files and run as a very no frills terminal
37 even if you ran an xserver built with all the fixin's. Which is exactly
38 what the description says and caused me to be a bit embarrassed for even
39 have asked.
40
41 By the way, this install runs great. I have 320GB hard drive on a Dual Core
42 Dell laptop. I'm in the process of putting three seperate installs on it
43 which will be identical except for one will be gentoo-hardened with
44 SELinux, another using RBAC, and then this one as normal install. I believe
45 there are some situation where RBAC has an advantage over SELinux and vice
46 versa. I also want to try and build the RBAC system running LXC with
47 SELinux inside the containers. I believe this is possible and would further
48 isolate the containers from the base system.
52 B G